Cycling between Gardens (Vredehoek and Oranjezicht), and the Waterfront is a breeze. Using mixture of dedicated cycle lanes and quieter roads, this route is perfect for either a fast paced commute or a more leisurely urban adventure. Along the way discover the city’s favorite bike friendly cafes, as well as interesting places to visit like the Company’s Garden, Iziko Museum, the Two Oceans Aquarium and the new Watershed craft precinct at the VnA Waterfront as well as the Granger Bay Market, which has its very own bicycle parking!
↔ 10.3km DISTANCE
∧ 176 ELEVATION GAIN
≡ Road TERRAIN
⊗ Download MAP& GPS
- Fringe District cafes and eateries
- Bree Street & Waterkant Street Bike Friendly Precinct
- Cool Pedestrian Brigde with awesome view of the city below
- VnA Waterfront & Two Ocean Aquarium
- Oranjezicht Farm Market. Held every Saturday at the historic Granger Bay site of the V&A Waterfront, the OZCF Market Day is a community farmers-style market for independent local farmers and artisanal food producers.
- The Fan Mile. Traffic free and Greenpoint Urban Park. Runs along Sommerset and Waterkant Road.
- The Company Gardens and Iziko Musem. Stop off to explore the Gardens or get your cultural fix at one of the many museums and galleries in the area. Please note that unfortunately no cycling is allowed on Government Avenue as it is a pedestrian only area, you will need to dismount and push your bike through the gardens.
- Cycling direction: This route can be cycled in either direction and you can start the ride from any spot along the route.
- Bus it: There is also the option of taking the bus to or from the start of finish. Bikes are allowed on the MyCiti bus free of charge but you need a Myconnect card to use the service and it is best to avoid peak times when the bus is full and bike can’t fit inside.
- Bike Parking. If you are looking for bicycle parking at the Waterfront, you will find it outside The Forum and the Watershed buildings and outside Entrance 1 of the Main building. The Oranjezicht City Farm Market has ample bike parking available for customers at the market’s main entrance.