Discover open space in the heart of the city. The Rondebosch Common is a favourite place for families and kids to cycle, it’s traffic free and flat, with lots of space to play and exercise; and is home to the beautiful rare Cape Flats Sand Fynbos!
A shared cycling and walking path runs along the perimeter of Rondebosch Common and is tarred, flat and easy for little ones to pedal. Wild open space and panoramic views of Devil’s Peak’s and Table Mountain make this route a nature lovers dream. In fact the 40 hectare Rondebosch Common is home to critically endangered Cape Flats Sand Fynbos, which exists nowhere else in the world. It also has patches of Renosterveld and a seasonal wetland. Over 300 plant species have been verified on the site, of which nine appear in the Red Data List. 110 different bird species have also been recorded.You can start the ride anywhere along the route, but for easy access we suggest parking on Sawkins Road where there is off-street parking and a large grassy area on the edge of the Common (see map).
↔ 2.7km DISTANCE
∧ FLAT ELEVATION GAIN
≡ TARMAC CYCLE PATH TERRAIN
⊗ Download MAP& GPS
- A nature lover’s dream – wide open space in the heart of the city
- Car-free, kid friendly cycling
- Common Ground Church Cafe
- Cycling direction: This route can be cycled in either direction.
- Vehicle Parking is located on Sawkins Road on the edge of the Common.
- Go slow: The route is shared with pedestrians, joggers and dog walkers. When cycling on shared paths and walkways respect other users, don’t speed, keep left and give way to others.
- Use your bell to let others know you’re approaching, but don’t assume they can hear or see you.
- Cycle under the full moon with the CycleKiDS Full Moon Ride: Riding bikes is so much fun, but riding them with your friends is even better! Join the CycleKiDS for a FUN bike ride for kids, kids at heart, and their families every full moon around Rondebosch Common.
- Grab a post ride coffee or snack: Across the road from the Common, in Milner Road, is the Common Ground Café. Not only do they serve delicious food at a good price, but all profits go to Common Good, an NPO which responds to the needs of the vulnerable in our city.
Photographs © David Malan & Leonie Mervis
MAP & GPS
Meet Mariska, the maker behind the cool, new bike-bag brand, Pieta Designs.
Win two tickets to this year’s Bicycle Film Festival – Cape Town!
Win an Enjoy ProXision kit (bib shorts and jersey) in our latest Gear Giveaway. Find out how to enter here…