Bike Friendly™ certification recognises outstanding hospitality, tourism, service and accommodation businesses, that make a cyclist’s visit memorable. Whether that’s providing space for customers to park their bikes, recommending nearby routes, or just making a cyclist feel welcome.
To qualify for certification, your business must meet the Essential Criteria for your category & at least 3 Bonus Criteria. Many of these listed here are free, or inexpensive to set up or you may already offer them! Once certified, your business can display the Bike Friendly™ logo online and access Bike Friendly™ signage.
✔️ Provide secure bike parking and/or storage
- for lodging – allow guests to bring their bikes into their rooms or provide a covered, secure bike storage space.
- for hospitality & tourism businesses, services & campsites – provide secure bike parking area, with dedicated bikes racks or existing structure for locking bikes to, or allow bikes to be brought onto the property (e.g. patio) or indoors.
✔️ Be welcoming to visiting cyclists. Let them know that you’re bike friendly and what services and amenities you offer. [For all]
✔️ Knowledge of local cycle routes and events, and/or nearest bike shops, rentals or services. [For all]
Choose at least three (3) recommended amenities and services from this list.
- Basic bike repair tools & pump to borrow
- Bike repair stand/ station
- Bike wash area with water point & hose
- Charging for electronic devices & e-bikes.
- Bike rentals or complimentary bikes for guests
- Bike tours or guided rides
- Offer mountain biking trails on-site and/or stock access permits & maps to local trails
- Discounts or deals for cyclists
- Sell basic provisions, snacks, firewood and/or bike supplies and tools
- Wi-Fi or internet access
- Bike locks for customers to use
- First Aid kit available
- Accommodate cycling groups/clubs
- Place to dry/air clothing or gear e.g fireside
- Free water bottle refills
- One-night stays for cyclists*
- Vehicle parking for guests on multi-day cycling trips*
- Shuttle service for customers, bikes or luggage*
- Early-riser breakfasts and/or late evening dining*
- Take-away/picnic lunch options*
- Laundry/drying facilities*
- A dedicated campsite for people who arrive by bike, available without reservation**
- No-turn-away policy / emergency tent space for cyclists arriving when campsite is full**
- A sheltered area in campsite for meals**
- Lockers or storage for food & valuables**
*For Accommodation Only
**For Campsites Only
DOWNLOAD OUR PROGRAMME GUIDE for full details on criteria and tips on making your business even more welcoming to cyclists