The Lazy Hippo MTB Stage Race to be held from the 6th to the 8th of July 2018, offers something for everyone in an old fashioned family orientated weekend away in the spectacular Karoo. Think rosemary lamb chops; Karoo hospitality; stunning sunsets; crisp mornings; solitude……. Oh yes, and a somewhat gruelling 3 – day stage race!
Based on the notion of “a happy family = a happy cyclist” the Karoo Gariep Nature Reserve, a hidden treasure, has prepared tracks that are open for the very first time for a public event.
Friday 6th July 2018: The Mieliefontein Route – a 63km route combining sheep trails; district roads and jeep tracks just to prove that the perception that the Karoo is just flat is perhaps not an accurate notion.
Non – cyclists can sign-up for a Traditional Karoo Cuisine Cooking Demonstration presented by the national winner of the 2017 Queen of the Kitchen, Marisca Ferreria– this sure beats waiting at the finish line! Day one concludes with a traditional Karoo dinner. For the kids still awake there is a serious card game of “Donkey” after dinner.
Saturday 7th July 2018: The Windpomp to Windpomp Route – a 35km route that is short and fast, but don’t be fooled, there is a technical section that will keep you focused. For the kids and recreational cyclists there is a gentle 10km fun ride done at a leisurely pace – this is offered free of charge.
Another Traditional Karoo Cuisine Cooking Demonstration, focusing on a different menu, will be presented. The afternoon will include boeresport and a fishing competition for the young ones. There is also an opportunity for you to bring your old cycling medals lying around at home and attach them to The Lazy Hippo Medal Windmill, which is slowly developing into a “I was here” photo site. The families will unite under the star-studded skies with a Karoo lamb spitbraai.
Sunday 8th July 2018: The Blue Crane Route – a 52km route winding through the playground of the Blue Cranes. You will soon see why hundreds of birds choose this location for their Winter breakaway. The weekend will end with the prize giving and a lazy Sunday afternoon Karoo picnic.
Don’t forget to buy your tickets for the Karoo Lamb Raffle.
- Bird watching (over 207 species have been recorded on the farm including the Blue Korhaan, Karoo
- Korhaan, Ludwick’s Bustard & Burchell’s Courser).
- Sundowners at the Hippo Pool – meet the only 3 Hippo’s in the Northern Cape.
- Safe recreational bike riding for kms.
- Night drives to spot the Shy 5 (Bat Eared Fox, Porcupine, Aardvark, Aardwolf & Black Footed Cat).
- Pony rides.
- Bottle feeding lambs.
- Game viewing: Buffalo, Eland, Sable, Red Hartebeest ……
and may more.
- Stage Race Entry: R1 250 per cyclist for the 3 – day event.
- 10km Family Cycle: Free of charge to family of registered stage race entrants
- Traditional Karoo Cuisine Cooking Demonstration: R200 per class.
- Accommodation & meals: Costs vary according to accommodation package selected (tent; caravan; guesthouse)
- The meals for the entire weekend will be prepared by Marisca Ferreria (Winner of the 2017 Queen of the Kitchen).
- Farm activities: Free of charge to family of registered stage race entrants
Stage race registration and accommodation can be booked on www.karoogariep.co.za
Alternatively contact PC Ferreira at email@example.com or +27 82567 9211